Christmas Project- Design Team Member Stepheny Fenton

 

Wall Sugar November
Design Team Project -
Christmas Spirit



 


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!.... J
Christmas is right around the bend, So when I received my Wall Sugar piece this
month all I could think of was the Holidays! The possibilities were limitless
with the Wall Sugar Co frame that I used.


So I started with the bare base (Wall Sugar Co Frame – Item#
WSC109 8.5x11 frame)

I started my project by painting the outer edges and the
inner edges of the plaque with Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint in Antique
Linen. I wanted a very vintage, nostalgic Christmas project, and crackle paint
adds that extra little flair. I know many of you are unsure of how to use
crackle paint or you have had terrible luck when using it, but like anything it
has a little bit of a trick to it. To make a good crackle you need to try and
make a nice thick base with it. Try not to do layers, try to do one thick
smooth coat. When you apply more than one coat it doesn’t dry evenly or it
dries and cracks, but you are recovering it with each layer and then eventually
you can end up with a very undesirable effect or worse case, no crackle at all.
The thicker the coat, the better the crackle. If you are working on wood such
as I did, it is best to base coat your project with an acrylic paint. This way
the paint has something to crackle over instead of soaking into the wood. In
this case though I wanted a progressively aging effect so I painted one think
coat on and let it dry, so in some areas it soaked in and there is no crackle
at all and in others it has quite a nice effect to it, as you can see below.

 

Next I covered the outer of the frame in Kaisercraft –
Turtle Dove Collection – Baubles. This paper has a glossy embossing effect to
it, plus it already has a soft brown edge to it which makes it look like it has
been inked.

 

For the inset I used Kaisercraft Turtle Dove Collection –
Drummers and Kaisercraft Twig and Berry Collection – December.
 

The poinsettias were a process. I started by using Jumbo
Poinsettia by Stampendous and stamped it on xpressit copic paper using black
Memento Ink. They were colored with copics. The colors are as follows:

Flower: R24 R27 R29

Leaves: YG93 YG95 YG97

Center: Y15 Y35 YR23

Colorless Blender

 

The flowers were then trimmed and some of the petals cut back to give
dimension. I then inked them with Color Box Chalk in Chestnut Roan to give them
the rustic burnished edges to create a flow through the project.

 
 
 

Next I used a burlap stocking by Canvas Corp and stitched all around
the outer edges with Canvas Corp Red Rope – Hemp Rope. I then glued the
stocking with hot glue to the frame. I then added the tags from Kaisercraft Turtle
Dove Collection – To Froms and inked all the outer edges with Color Box Chalk –
Chestnut Roan. I then hot glued them to the stocking and then hot glued two of
the poinsettias.

 
 

Last I added the verse which was taken from Kaisercraft Turtle Dove
Collection – Drummers and then I backed the verse in Kaisercraft Twig and Berry
Collection – December. I then attached the verse to the frame with pop up dots.
The side that drops down into the inset of the frame is a layer of three pop up
dots to make the height even with the outer edge of the frame. Then I added my
last three poinsettias below the verse with hot glue.
 
 
 
 
 
 
So there you have it, the completed project!
 
 
 
I hope you enjoyed taking the time to view my project as much as I enjoyed
creating it!

 
Thank you for stopping by J
Stepheny
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio